Monday, November 27, 2006

Homework Time

Ni tanto que queme al santo, ni tan poco que no lo alumbre.

Babel Fish translation:
Neither as much that it burns santo, nor so little that not it alum

Ok, now it's your turn...

Does anyone know of a proverb in English that would come close to this one? I've asked a few colleagues and no one can seem to come up with one.

For you English only speakers, literally translated it means "not so much that it burns the saint, and not so little that it doesn't illuminate him". I realize it sounds pretty crazy in English, but it's saying about not going to extremes. Does it ring a bell? Any ideas?

How about the term biofeedback? The only term I've found is biorretroalimentación, and I don't like it.

¡Suena muy feo! :(

I'll keep looking in the meantime. :)

Spanglish Word of the Week
Barbero. Le pregunté a un señor "Ya recibió su capacitación?"
"Sí, ya. Estudié para ser barbero."
Pues para eso no se necesita estudio, digo yo!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Biorretroalimentacion is a mouthful I know, but it is correct!

28/11/06 11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lo mismo opino, 'ta bien...Becky

30/11/06 7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tentative French proverb close to yours : il vaut mieux un peit feu qui échauffe, qu'un gros qui brûle

20/12/06 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no saying for you whatsoever, just a question. Where are you??? I miss your witty and many times hilarious accounts. Are you buried in work? Preparing for the exams? Just drop us (your readers) a short line, so that we know you're OK.

And waiting... :-)

P.

5/2/07 6:35 AM  
Blogger Doña Marina said...

Hi Pilar!

Sorry for dissappearing! Things got a bit crazy for a while: illnesses, family crisis, etc. So I had to prioritize.

But I am looking forward to posting again soon. I miss it!

5/2/07 12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear the reasons were not too pleasant. Just take good care of yourself until you are ready. :-) I won't miss your next posting, I have you in my rss.

Take care,

P.

5/2/07 6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home