Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Body Language

Expresión corporal

Babel Fish translation:
Lengua de cuerpo

Here are a couple of excerpts from transcripts of depositions I worked on recently.

Q: Sir, did you suffer any other injuries while working for this company?
A: Yes, I cut my finger.
Q: Which finger was that?
A: This one right here.
Q: For the record, the applicant is holding up his right middle finger.
Did you require medical attention for that?
A: Yes, they took me to the doctor and they gave me stitches. Here’s the scar.
Q: When did that happen?
A: About 6 or 7 years ago.
Q: Any other injures besides those?
A: No, that’s all.
Q: Ok sir, you can go ahead and put your finger down now.

(Note: we were all trying not to laugh because of how he was holding up his finger, right up in the defense attorney’s face so that he could see the scar.)



The lady in this case claimed she injured her right arm and therefore could no longer work. She’s being questioned by the defense attorney.

Q: Is there anything that you used to be able to do but that can no longer do because of your injury?
A: Yes, I can’t do this.
Q: You mean put your right arm straight up over your head like you’re doing right now?
A: Yes, I can’t do this.
Q: Again, for the record, you’re talking about raising your right arm straight up clearly above shoulder level like you’re showing us right now. Counsel, would you agree with that description?

(Note: At this point the applicant’s attorney bites down on his pen so hard, I thought for sure he was going to split it in half or break his teeth or something.)

There was another occasion when a lady claimed to have injured her foot and ankle at work. She said to her attorney “It’s still swollen… see… take a look!” as she raises her foot up onto the table to show him. Her attorney was stunned… she was wearing stiletto heels!!
He says to her (and I quote) “What the hell are you wearing??!! I thought you said your foot was hurting you!”
Her answer… “I always wear these when I go out.” (???!!!??).

Amazing... isn't it?


Spanglish Word of the Week
"Chipin" This came from a form that someone filled out at an attorney's office. In the space for "Job Position", the guy wrote "chipin". I can only assume he meant shipping.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checked out your blog! Hilarious! I can relate! The one with the middle finger injury, too funny! talk to you soon.

25/10/06 11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your site!!! One of your posts actually helped me with a translation I was looking for. Thanks a lot and keep posting so I can keep reading!

20/11/06 7:17 AM  
Blogger Doña Marina said...

Hi Carlos! Welcome! Thank you for the compliment, I'm happy to be of help.

20/11/06 8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i got a great laugh from reading your snippets!!!! if you are ever at VNO, stop by and say hi...I'm usually in the "SCIF" room. jose tauro

25/2/10 10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home