Sunday, September 10, 2006

You Learn Something New Everyday

Todos los días se aprende algo

Babel Fish Translation:
Usted aprende algo diario nuevo

This post is for the two of you that are not interpreters. You other two can sit this one out if you wish, or if you’re incredibly bored and have nothing better to do, then by all means, join us!

Maybe it’s best if I give you some background on what exactly I do in my line of work. So here we go.

According to the State of California, I am an Administrative Hearing Interpreter. I am to “interpret during state agency hearings for persons lacking sufficient English language proficiency to understand the proceedings”. This includes Social Security, EDD and Worker’s Compensation, to name a few.

I'm an independent contractor and I work for several interpreting agencies. The majority of the assignments I get have to do with Worker’s Comp, and mostly depositions at that.
And now (oh joy!) a brief overview of Worker’s Comp depositions (this will make things easier for future posts, trust me).

When a person files a Worker’s Comp case in this state, it’s very common for a deposition to be taken as part of the discovery process. It’s simply a question and answer session that the defense uses to investigate a claim. The minimum amount of participants in the type of depos that I do is 5:

The applicant (AKA the injured worker)
The applicant's attorney (attorney for the injured worker)
The defense (generally the attorney representing the employer’s insurance company)
The court reporter (officer of the court that will take down everything that is said and that will administer the oath)
The interpreter (me)

Sometimes a representative for the employer will also be present. Now that we have that out of the way, aren’t you glad you learned something new (and boring!) today?

Spanglish Word of the Week
"Paleta" (noun). No, I don't mean popsicle or that round thing with a hole that artists use for their paints. People often use this word to mean pallet (the wooden kind), as in “Descargué la paleta”. I've even had someone use the term "carrito de las paletas" to mean pallet jack. Yikes!

Here's some yummy "paleta" info.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home