Friday, September 01, 2006

Well Begun is Half Done

Obra empezada, medio acabada

Babel Fish translation:
El pozo comenzado se hace a medias

(Babel Fish just cracks me up!!)

In this blog I will be sharing some of the day to day experiences I've had as an interpreter, as well as my thoughts, frustrations and challenges... all seasoned with a little bit of humor. My idea is for this to be fun and learn something in the process.

But please bear with me, as this is a work in progress. Suggestions and comments are appreciated!




I've selected the name of Doña Marina, since this was the name given to "La Malinche", the infamous interpreter. I find this woman's life quite fascinating, so her story seems like a good place to start. Make sure to click on the Spanish version of this story as well, it's an excellent translation.

Now here's a woman who interpreted for Hernán Cortés during the Spanish conquest of México. Wow! Talk about a tough gig!

Spanglish Word of the Week

"Serapeador" (noun). A man said this was his job position. He was a set-up person. He'd set-up tables, chairs, etc. for events at a hotel. "Yo era serapeador." He also used it as a verb, "Yo serapeaba las mesas."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the way Babel Fish translated the dicho at the top of the post! You've got a very interesting blog here.

15/10/06 11:51 PM  
Blogger Doña Marina said...

Stephen, thanks! I'm glad you like it. Babel Fish comes up with some very silly translations, it's great for a good laugh. :)

17/10/06 9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home